Definition of carve: In the world of skateboarding and snowboarding carving describes going down the hill with continuous long fluid sweeping turns. It is quiet (no sliding of wheels or scraping of snow), and is considered to be the skate/snow version of the “perfect wave”. It gets its roots from surfing, where carving a hard turn at the bottom of a wave is a moment in time where man and nature align, harnessing the power of the wave for the perfect soul-satisfying ride. In the skateboarding world, carving is the antithesis of short boards, small wheels, jumping, scraping, flipping, grinding, and ollies. Smooth carving requires long flexible boards and big wheels.
We make electric longboards. A longboard is a type of skateboard specifically designed for carving. Unlike many of the electric skateboard companies in the marketplace today, we are not trying to position our company as a high-tech manufacturer of the latest eDevice or engineering marvel. Our roots are in old-school surfing and longboarding. Our vibe is a retro 1950’s vintage feel, with a mixture of tropical-island/jungle/surfing/tacky-tiki merged with a 1950’s retro bad-sci-fi-movie/atomic-age/tacky-magazine-ad feel.
For our logo, I have several objectives.
- It needs to be cool! I want it to be something that someone would want to wear on a t-shirt or stick on their car.
- It needs to have the company name “carverocket” and the tagline “electric longboards”
- Carverocket needs to be a wordmark than can be lifted from the logo and used as a stand-alone.
- I would like it to have something to give it personality. Maybe a funny character (like a tribal native, tiki head, or little masked tribal warrior). In the future, the character may be extended to be used on board graphics.
- I would like the whole logo to hold together in a way that it can be used as an emblem on boards and accessories.
Price-wise, our boards are about in the middle range for electric skateboards. Our typical target market is two groups.
- Over 35-year old men, typically professional, still active, who used to skate, ski, or surf in their youth, who use the product for recreation.
- Young male and female environmentally conscious high-tech professionals in major cities who use the product as a means of transportation.
The company name is CARVEROCKET. The tageline is Electric Longboards. The name carverocket came about to emphasize the intent of our product, which is carving. The rocket portion is to emphasize that it is self-powered and fast. Our boards use dual brushless motors, go over 25mph, and run for over an hour on a single charge. They're quiet, smooth, and reliable.
Colors: I like vintage colors aqua, chartreuse, beige, dark red (think water, palm trees, bamboo, surfboards, tiki heads, vintage diners, formica countertops, old motel signs) – you decide what looks best.
There will be more work in the future for the winning artist, as we build out additional brand components and products.